Bird Textiles // Creative Director and Founder // 2002-2012
Widely regarded as one of Australia’s premiere sustainable design brands, Bird Textiles was a pioneer in sustainable fashion, textiles and interior design practices. As early adopters facilitated the move of ‘eco’ into the mainstream, Bird became a symbol of environmental consciousness, spearheading a new era of ethical and sustainable consumerism.
- grew a sole trader operation into an internationally renowned creative business. Navigated new business opportunities and successfully managed rapid growth across multiple segments. At its peak, Bird Textiles supplied over 150 retailers across Australasia, Europe and the U.S., along with multiple own brand retail outfits, and a global customer base serviced through its online interface.
- undertook a comprehensive carbon life cycle analysis for the entire business, purchased offsetting renewable energy, and were recognised as Australia’s first climate neutral business in 2004.
- from being listed as ‘one to watch’ in Time Magazine (April 2007) to coverage in fashion and interiors magazines like Vogue, Inside Out and Home Beautiful, regular broadsheet editorial placement in the Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and The Australian across news, environment and design specialities, the company achieved considerable media success with significant key national and international editorial coverage every month since inception. birdtextile.com/media.php
- featured as part of a NSW Department of Education initiative, in conjunction with ‘State Respond’ at Object: Australia Centre for Craft and Design, Sydney to provide educational case study materials for the NSW school syllabus. vimeo.com/10737047
- selected by The Australian Trade Commission to represent Australia in New York at ‘G’Day USA’.
- curators at the Powerhouse Museum nominate Rachel Bending for a Powerhouse Wizard Award, recognizing emerging leaders in Australian innovation and achievement. Awarded Highly Commended.
- House and Garden magazine recognize Bird Textiles as 2008 Fabric Designer of the Year.
- invited to be panel member of ‘Eco Young Guns’ at Eat Green Design, Powerhouse Museum part of Sydney Design Festival.
- Bird Textiles awarded $50k grant from AusIndustry, Australian Government.
- Bird Textiles invited to show at Estethica, London Fashion Week.
- Fashion Group International select Bird as winner of the Sustainable Product category of the FGI Sydney Awards for Excellence 2009.
- guest speaking at various national symposiums, design festivals, panels, TAFE’s and universities.